Snakes are possibly one of the topmost answers if you ask people about their worst fears. While there are many who would take snakes as pets, there are so much more who are terrified of them and wouldn’t even dare to touch even the least dangerous species. If you’re scared of snakes, the least you can do to feel better is by knowing more about snake facts.
Snakes belong to the Animalia kingdom, Reptilia class, Squamata order. They are under the Serpentes suborder. They are described as legless and elongated carnivorous reptiles. Snakes look similar to each other and it’s easy to tell that a snake is one when you see one. Snake species differ in size, length, and color.
Some snakes could be very tiny while others can grow very long and large.
- The World Atlas identifies the Barbados threadsnake (Leptotyphlops carlae) as the smallest snake in the world. It was identified in 2008 and weighs only an average of 0.03 ounces and can grow at an average of 3.94 inches long.
- If you thought that the movie Anaconda is completely fictional, think again. The Asiatic Reticulated Python (Python reticulatus) or the Giant Anaconda holds the world record for being the biggest snake ever. It can weigh over 500 pounds and can grow up to 33 feet.
- The Guinness World Records awarded Medusa, a reticulated python, as the longest snake in captivity. It is currently in Kansas City, Missouri under the ownership of Full Moon Productions Inc. In October 2011, it measured 7.67 meters or over 25 feet long.
Florida Snake Facts
Owlcation shares that only 6 out of the many snake species in Florida are considered dangerous and sometimes deadly. They are:
- Southern Copperhead – Bites are rarely fatal but can be very painful.
- Water Moccasin or Cottonmouth – Bites are fatal if left untreated. Bites can be very painful.
- Timber Rattlesnake – Bites are very fatal – must be treated immediately.
- Dusky Pigmy Rattlesnake – Bites are rarely fatal but can be very painful.
- Eastern Diamondback – Bites are fatal if left untreated. Bites are extremely painful as well.
- Eastern Coral Snake – Although quite rare, these are the ones usually found in homes. They don’t bite unless you grab them, sit or step on them. One drop of venom can be fatal and must be treated immediately.
Professional Snake Removal in Orlando, FL
If you spot a snake in or outside your home or office, you must call for professional assistance right away. Animal Wildlife Trappers is the company to call for immediate snake removal Orlando. We are also in Maitland, Longwood, Winter Park, Lake Mary, Deltona, and nearby areas. Call 352-267-0546 to get a free estimate.