Raccoons are known for being mischievous mammals that rummage through trash; however, they can also carry and spread infectious diseases in various ways. Anyone is susceptible to contracting a disease from a raccoon, including humans and pets. Therefore, it is important to know the risks involved when dealing with a diseased raccoon.
4 Types of Raccoon Diseases
While raccoons commonly spread their diseases through bites, scratches, saliva, or contaminated waste, handling a raccoon or being exposed to bacteria or viruses on surfaces contaminated by a diseased raccoon can also be a source of raccoon disease transmission.
Here are some of the dangerous infectious diseases that raccoons are known to carry and transmit:
- Rabies – Rabies is transmitted through a bite, scratch, or from saliva of a rabid mammal. Raccoons are well-known for having this infectious disease.
- Baylisascaris procyonis – Raccoon roundworm is a parasite in the large intestines of raccoons that sheds eggs in raccoon feces which can become infectious toward humans after 2-4 weeks of incubation. This disease attacks the central nervous system of humans by way of visceral larva migrans.
- Giardiasis – This is a microscopic protozoan infection that is transmitted by raccoon feces. It can also contaminate water, soil, and other surfaces. Giardiasis causes severe gastrointestinal symptoms in humans.
- Leptospirosis – This is a bacterial infection which is spread by raccoons through urine and secretions. Humans will most often come across this in the environment and can become infected through an open wound or orally.
- Other Diseases – Raccoons also carry fungus, parasites, and bacterial diseases like E. Coli.
The Benefits of Professional Raccoon Removal Services
Raccoon removal is dangerous for those who lack the experience and equipment necessary to avoid contracting an infectious raccoon disease. Therefore, when it comes to handling raccoons or even cleaning up their waste, you should rely on a wildlife professional who will have the proper gear and practices in place to reduce the risk of harm to the animal and damage to your property.
For those reasons, you should contact the wildlife control experts at Animal Wildlife Trappers for fast, safe, and effective raccoon removal services.
Your Central Florida Raccoon Removal Experts
If your Central Florida property has become infested with diseased raccoons, then rely on the efficient wild animal removal services offered by Animal Wildlife Trappers. Our experienced wildlife professionals can guarantee quick and legal wildlife removal. Our experts use a humane approach when removing animals from any property, placing a high priority on the welfare of the nuisance animals and safety of your property.
To schedule an appointment and receive a free raccoon removal estimate, call us today at 352-267-0546.