Armadillos are known for their digging and burrowing tendencies, which can make them a major nuisance to Florida home and business owners. Professionally trapping and removing armadillos is the best way to handle the issue. In fact, the state of Florida requires that armadillos be trapped and removed by a professional, licensed animal control agency.
In addition, they can be stubborn animals that do not typically respond to commercial repellent often sold on the market. In many cases, they just push right past the mothballs or other detractors. Some people resort to pouring animal urine and bleach to repel armadillos, however, this rarely works and bleach is extremely harmful to the environment. Armadillos are also nocturnal animals, so they sneak around all hours of the night while you’re fast asleep.
Common signs an armadillo is the culprit & issues they cause:
- Larger than average tunnels appearing under the structure on your property
- Landscaping is uprooted and torn apart
- Cracking concrete over burrow trails
- Torn and cracked pipes within the path of the burrowing armadillo
- Smaller, dug-outs throughout your lawn
- Upset family pets